Re: iBook internal modem experiences?

On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 07:46:43PM -0700, Derrik Pates wrote:
> One thing I have noticed, however, in common with what Branden was
> mentioning was that the macserial driver sees 2 serial devices on this
> FireWire iBook - ttyS0 (aka tts/0), which is the modem (I'm using it now,
> so it does work), and ttyS1, which doesn't seem to be anything. This
> laptop has 6 ports - USB, FireWire, audio/composite video, Ethernet,
> modem, and power. Is there logic somewhere in its mainboard for a serial
> port that just doesn't have a connector? Does the macserial module just
> blindly assume there will always be 2 serial ports? Or is there something
> else up here?

A few unrelated points:

1) The port arrangement on my iBook is:
	power, RJ-11 modem, RJ-45 Ethernet, FireWire, USB (2), VGA out
(proprietary connector with adapter to 15-pin D-sub), 1/8" audio/video

2) I suspect the same controller may be used to drive IrDA and modem
devices; the iBook just has no actual IrDA hardware hooked up to it.

3) I *still* can't get the modem to work using pon/pppconfig, even with
a 2.4.14+benh(2001-11-21) kernel.  I set the timeout to 5 seconds, and
it dutifully does so, twice.

ATZ
expect (OK)
alarm
AT
expect (OK)
alarm
failed.

Even if the modem doesn't hear the first "ATZ", it should hear the "AT",
right?  Given that it's been at least 5 seconds since the port was
opened?

Does anyone else with an iBook 2001 (a.k.a. icebook) have this working?
Maybe Apple got evil and put the softmodem in this laptop as well.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      To stay young requires unceasing
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      cultivation of the ability to