odd backspace behaviour sometimes in X

I suffer from odd backspace behaviour sometimes in X. Normally X works
as expected - i.e., the spaces before the cursor get deleted.

However, if I am typing in an 'at' command after the first return and
wish to modify what I have written , or trying to do a find in a man
page, and type an incorrect character which I wish to delete, I only get
'^H' characters.

I am running blackbox on woody on a Lombard.

Excerpt from my XF86Config-4 file:
	Section "InputDevice"
			Identifier      "Default Keyboard"
			Driver          "keyboard"
			Option          "CoreKeyboard"
			Option          "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
			Option          "XkbModel"      "macintosh"
			Option          "XkbLayout"     "us"
	EndSection

I'm using this to setup my mouse button mapping:
	echo "87" > /proc/sys/dev/mac_hid/mouse_button2_keycode
	echo "88" > /proc/sys/dev/mac_hid/mouse_button3_keycode
	echo "1"  > /proc/sys/dev/mac_hid/mouse_button_emulation

Thanks for any help.

Rory