iBook 2001: what are the Kernel options for networking?

Hi all; I'm new to compiling kernels, and need a little advice.

I have a iBook 2001 (600Mhz).  My problem is thus: When I use the
woody kernel (2.2.19-pmac) I have networking and no X, and when I use
a BenH kernel (2.4.15-pre2-ben0) I have X and no networking.  I want
to build my own kernel that has both.

I have installed the 2.4 kernel sources and patches and have
successfully compiled and booted my own kernel... but like the BenH
kernel I have X and no networking.  I can't figure out which kernel
options I need to get networking to work.

[A friend recommended importing the settings from the 2.2.19-pmac
kernel, but it took forever to reconfigure it so it would compile, and
then it wouldn't boot (unrelated mount problems), so I gave that up as
a bad job.]

When I do a kernel "make menuconfig" and go to "Network device
support" I choose to compile in "Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit)" and (under
that) "GMAC (G4/iBook ethernet) support".  Is this correct for a G3
iBook?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Gordon