Re: [SID] Keymap under X - solved for me

On Wed, 2001-11-21 at 14:20, Veit Waltemath wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 10:40:31PM +0100, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> > On Tue, 2001-11-20 at 19:50, Veit Waltemath wrote:
> >
> > > I have a G3 bw with the small usb-keyboard and german layout.
> > > My XF86Config-4 has following entries for the kboard:
> > >
> > > 	"XkbRules"	"xfree86"
> > > 	"XkbModel"	"macintosh"
> > > 	"XkbLayout"	"de"
> > >
> > > I'am missing the alt and alt-gr keys.
> > > Someone could help please ?
> >
> > On my girlfriend's cube, I have
> >
> >         Option          "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
> >         Option          "XkbModel"      "macintosh"
> >         Option          "XkbLayout"     "de_CH"
> >
> > and the keys with 'alt' printed on them seem to work.

Just to make it clear: left alt seems to work for application shortcuts
(and VT switching), right alt seems to work as AltGr.

> I read this list archive backwards and there are a lot of posts about
> the german keymap under X using the Linux_Keycodes.
> I found the messages from Florent Pillet <Florent.Pillet@wanadoo.fr> who
> said that is something missing in the xkb file for french users.
> Namely this:
> 	/usr/lib/X11/xkb/symbols/macintosh/fr
>
> 	and just after this line:
>
> 	    name[Group1]= "FR-1";
>
> 	    add:
> 		key <LALT> {
> 	        symbols[Group1] = [ Mode_switch, Multi_key ],
> 		virtualMods = AltGr
> 		};
>
> I've done this for my german file de, and the alt key worked as wanted.

So does the left alt key also work for application shortcuts like this?
If yes, and if the right alt key doesn't work as AltGr without this,
please submit it in a bug against xlibs.

Well, judging by your other post, probably not.

> Don't CC me, I am subscribed.

What do you think is easiest for you:

- fix all 'broken' mailers yorself?
- ask (fix? :) all 'broken' users yourself?
- deal with it yourself?

For me, it's certainly easiest to hit 'Reply to All' and be done with
it. This may be a bit rude but I'm getting annoyed by all the whining
about this.