Re: Mac-On-Linux?

On Tue, 20 Nov 2001, Paul F. Pearson wrote:

> I'm wanting to install Mac-On-Linux on my potato system at work. The
> problem is, the downloads are in RPM format. I tried using alien to
> convert them to .deb, but I get an error message saying that the major
> number must be <= 3, or something like that.

The RPMs are probably in RPM v4 format. The RPM tool that's included in
sid is 4.0.2, and could be converted. Potato only includes RPM v3, and the
package format changed as of v4 (I know this caused many a RH user
headaches).

You have one of several choices from where you sit:

- Get the mol and mol-modules-source packages out of sid (or maybe woody).
You'd probably be forced to upgrade your libc at least, though, since
potato is getting pretty ancient.

- Build MoL from source (either by getting 0.9.60 source, or getting the
0.9.61 prerelease source from the rsync archive). If you have a full
working toolchain, this might work out best for you. It's not exactly a
big build.

- Have someone else convert the RPMs, and provide them to you.

- Get the more recent rpm package (and librpm, and possibly libpopt) out
of woody or sid. Probably will also necessitate some upgrading of the libc
and a few other packages.

Derrik Pates      |   Sysadmin, Douglas School   |    #linuxOS on EFnet
dpates@dsdk12.net |     District (dsdk12.net)    |    #linuxOS on OPN