[Fwd: Re: smb filesystem support in benh_2.4.5-pre3]

Sorry.  I ment to sent this to the list.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: smb filesystem support in benh_2.4.5-pre3
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 09:48:46 -0500
From: Andrew Dixon <andrew.dixon@seranoa.com>
To: Ethan Benson <erbenson@alaska.net>

Ethan Benson wrote:
<snip>
> > wolf:/# mount -t smb //HWServer/Documents /mnt -o username=andrew.dixon
> > Password:
> > ERROR: smbfs filesystem not supported by the kernel
> > Please refer to the smbmnt(8) manual page
> > smbmnt failed: 255
> > wolf:/#
> >
> > It fails and tells me that I don't have kernel support for it.  Right
> > after I compiled it in.
>
> cat /proc/filesystems to see if you really compiled it in.

OK here's /proc/filesystems:
andrew.dixon@straw:~$ cat /proc/filesystems
nodev	proc
nodev	sockfs
nodev	tmpfs
nodev	pipefs
	ext2
nodev	nfs
nodev	smbfs
	jffs2
nodev	autofs
nodev	devpts

Now, the first column says "nodev" for smbfs.  I assume that this means
there are no special devices needed for smbfs.  I also looked through
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt and didn't see smb mentioned
there.

Could there be a problem with my System.map file?  I'm beginning to
think that mount must be looking someplace to see if smb is in the
kernel and is getting erronious information.

Thanks for all of your help.  Keep the suggestions comming.

Thanks again,
Andy