Font advice needed

Thanks to the enormous help I have received on this list and Sergio
Brandano's excellent page for installation on Lombard powerbooks, I'm
now up and running woody and X with very few problems.

For various reasons I decided to use Blackbox as my window manager, as I
want something more stripped down than Enlightenment. My dilemma is that
I don't know how to specify a nice clear font, that doesn't suffer from
the illegibility of bold type on my screen.

I enjoy working with 9pt Geneva (writing) or 9pt Monaco (coding) in
MacOS. Is there any chance of getting similar display clarity on Linux?

Thanks for any help.
Rory