Re: trying to boot an Imac into debian....no success

On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 03:24:55PM -0500, Walter Tautz wrote:

> > Having difficulty getting it to work. I.e the yaboot step
> > with ofboot does not succeed when the computer is told to
> > reboot from the install. I ran the command:
>
> mkofboot --boot /dev/hda5 -m /usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot --root /dev/hda7 --partition 7
>
> and respond yes when it asks to create a hfs filesystem. The default is
> No? I assume that when they mean device node of the the bootstrap partition
> they mean /boot ?

No, the bootstrap partition is the 800k Apple_Bootstrap partition you
created ... or did you? if not, that's where your problem lies.

BTW, it asks you the question because after you answer yes it toasts
whatever is on that partition to use it as the bootstrap. So, your /dev/hda5
is not a linux filesystem anymore. If it was a partition for /boot, then you
just lost /boot. So that answers the second question; No, it's not.

> Note the boot sector from MacOS is at hda1. or whatever it is called...
> In any case this is not a prestine disk. It has MACOS9 on it.
>
> NOTE. that I am booting of cdrom. On an IMAC circa 1998.

You probably just need to reboot the installer and start over.
1) When you first create your partitions, use the b command. If you already
did do that, go to step 2.
2) Put that partition's device node in the boot=, just read off
the device node from the left hand column in mac-fdisk.

You don't need or want a /boot partition on powerpc (the suggestions in the
installer for mounting points are based on i386 needs). /boot can and should
live happily on the root partition.

--
<http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net> | | `. `'` | Chris Tillman
tillman@azstarnet.com | | `- | May the Source be with you |