Re: Supported models

On Sunday 04 November 2001 13:10, Andreas Wüst wrote:
> >> Please remember e.g. the mail of Joseph Fannin ("gcc in woody?") who
> >> asked:
> >>
> >>    Um, is it just me, or is there no compiler in woody?
> >>
> >>    Until I found this list, I was beginning to think the powerpc port
> >> was no longer maintained. It sounds like people are running woody,
> >> tho....
> >>
> >>    What about sid? I assume it's somewhere too? Am I wrong in assuming
> >> that if it's not on ftp.debian.org it's not on any mirrors either? The
> >> two distribs seem to be missing *lots* of packages, not just gcc.
> >
> > And what does that have to do with this thread? :)
> >
> > He was trying to be clever and looked for the packages directly in the
> > archive, the structure of which has changed. On the main debian.org page
> > there is a link to http://packages.debian.org which is much more useful
> > for that kind of information.
>
> Because of
>
> >>    Until I found this list, I was beginning to think the powerpc port
> >> was no longer maintained. It sounds like people are running woody,
> >> tho....
>
> I assumed that he also has been looking at the debian port pages, where he
> saw an outdated model list, and so got to think that the port is no longer
> maintained. That's all.

    That was part of it, yes.  But most of it had to do with the fact that
using the NIC in my PPC machine freezes the system (as well as using the
CD/Floppy/SCSI CD-ROM, something I want to look into in the coming months),
so my ill-advised dist-upgrade to woody left my system all screwed up, even
though the upgrade appeared to work okay. (Well, I did have to reboot >10
times before apt decided it was done downloading packages.)  When I went to
find the missing packages, they weren't in dists/ either -- I guess they've
been moved to pool/, something I hadn't paid much attention to -- I haven't
needed to.

    Anyway, I do think Debian's PPC docs could use some care, but I'm not
much of a case study.  My PM5400 is an pretty psychotic case....

    I could save everyone some trouble by learning to use the reply-all
button, I guess.  I don't like reply-to munging at all, but I suppose I've
gotten used to it.

--
Joseph Fannin
jhf@rivenstone.net

"Bull in pure form is rare; there is usually some contamination by data."
    -- William Graves Perry Jr.