Re: Need 2.4.9-benh0 snapshot or diff

On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 08:44:04AM -0800, Anthony Lau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Did a really stupid thing and rsync'd away my working
> 2.4.9-benh0 directory and turned it into a 2.4.14-pre5-ben0
> directory.
>
> It wouldn't be too bad if 2.4.14 was usable on my machine
> (PowerMac4400/200MHz 604e, 96MB RAM) but it's constantly
> swapping, swapping appears to be slower than in 2.4.9, and
> system is constantly "stuttering" (unlike 2.4.9 which
> "paused" only when massively swapping).
>
> Luckily I still have a working 2.4.9-benh0 kernel, but
> would like to have the source, too.

then you better archive it when you sync it, benh's or any other rsync
tree for that matter does not guarentee existence even 5 seconds after
you finish the rsync, once a new revision is pushed the old source is
gone forever.

for benh trees i recommend doing a clean sync, renaming it to the
date you synced like so:

linux-2.4.XXpreYY-bh20001102

and changing the Makefile EXTRAVERSION to match.

when you want to update it cp -a the entire tree to something else,
rsync and update the versions again.

this way you will always know what version you are really running, and
what date it came from, -benh0 means nothing as it never ever changes,
the only useful version number there is for benh trees is the current
date (and even time in some cases).

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/