Re: and an insomniac pismo (with 2.4.14-pre5-ben0)

On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 09:32:17AM -0800, Wilhelm *Rafial* Fitzpatrick wrote:
> >my point is that putting a laptop to sleep instead of shutting it down
> >entirely when transporting it is not a good idea IMO and IME.
>
> IMO & IME, putting a laptop to sleep is an essential part of the
> laptop experience.  Being able to grab & go, and pop the 'book open
> at the other end and and be right where you left off is amazingly
> useful.  I have had laptops come awake in transit, but as long as the
> lid is still closed, they go back to sleep and it is no big deal.  I

no they don't, my 540c did not, and it had a mechenism where when the
lid is closed it went to sleep, but when it awoke for whatever reason
it usually stayed awake and became very hot.

so its up to you, convenience and risk of destruction and meltdown, or
shutting it down and not having to worry about it much.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/