Re: upgrade lombard potato to woody

On Tue, 2001-10-30 at 10:12, Andrew Sharp wrote:
> Michel Dänzer wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 2001-10-30 at 01:24, Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:
> > >
> > > My sources list currently holds the following:
> > >
> > > deb http://www.uk.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
> > > deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
> >
> > Change stable to testing in these two lines...
> >
> > > deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free
> >
> > ... and remove or comment out this one.

You can also leave it in BTW, just in case...

> Am I the only one that favors using the actual names rather than the
> aliases?  I used unstable for a while, then, with no warning,
> unstable was bumbed from woody to a very broken sid, and that
> machine got hosed.  It took me a long time to figure out what
> happened.  Since the aliases can be bumped without warning to the
> next release, I think people should use the proper names for the
> releases in order to stay out of trouble.

You got confused by a unique event. sid will be (and has been if I'm not
mistaken) unstable forever now. The difference between testing and woody
(or later releases) will be when it becomes stable (or frozen?), where
testing will basically go on as ever, but woody will basically stay the
same and get more outdated each day. It depends what you want, but I
suspect most people want the alias.