Re: upgrade lombard potato to woody

Michel Dänzer wrote:

> On Tue, 2001-10-30 at 01:24, Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:
> > I've been having trouble getting X to run on my Lombard powerbook, and I
> > hope that if I update my install to woody things will get a little
> > easier.
> >
> > I'd be grateful to know what I should change in my sources list to do
> > this. Presumably I then simply run apt-get update and then apt-get
> > dist-upgrade?
>
> Yes.
>
> > My sources list currently holds the following:
> >
> > deb http://www.uk.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
> > deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
>
> Change stable to testing in these two lines...
>
> > deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free
>
> ... and remove or comment out this one.

Am I the only one that favors using the actual names rather than the
aliases?  I used unstable for a while, then, with no warning,
unstable was bumbed from woody to a very broken sid, and that
machine got hosed.  It took me a long time to figure out what
happened.  Since the aliases can be bumped without warning to the
next release, I think people should use the proper names for the
releases in order to stay out of trouble.