How do I run Gnome on Lombard powerbook (Potato)?

I'd be grateful for some pointers on how to run Gnome on my Lombard.
Some newbie instructions from scratch would be gratefully received.

I ran the basic install on Potato and selected Gnome to be installed. I
have since done quite a bit of updating of packages using dselect, but
I'm clueless what to do about Gnome - although X starts, I get a white
screen and the writing 'Main' and '1' in black letter at the top left of
the screen, and when I press the Apple key the screen changes to black
and white stripes.

I'm using yaboot 1.2.3.

Thanks for any help
Rory