Re: free reports that shared memory is not used

On Sun, Oct 28, 2001 at 10:39:21PM +0100, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> PS: I do have the line
>
> none		/dev/shm	shm		defaults	0	0
>
> in /etc/fstab ever since I've been running a 2.4 kernel, but I have no
> idea what this actually is for or what the effect of not having it would
> be...

it has no effect any longer, there is no shmfs anymore.  now its just
tmpfs (shmfs == tmpfs).

so all you have effectivly done is created a second /tmp on /dev/shm

i stopped mounting it there awhile ago and have see no ill effects,
unlike older kernels sysvshm still works without it.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/