Re: free reports that shared memory is not used

On 2001 October 29 Monday 06:39, Michel Dänzer wrote:

> You should RTFM in the first place. ;)

point taken :-) Thanks for the info.

>From the free(1) manpage:
>
> 'The  shared  memory  column  should  be ignored; it is obsolete.'
>

> PS: I do have the line
>
> none		/dev/shm	shm		defaults	0	0
>
> in /etc/fstab ever since I've been running a 2.4 kernel, but I have no
> idea what this actually is for or what the effect of not having it would
> be...

I happened to read a nice article on it yesterday. It is located at
"http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-fs3.html";. According to the
author, CONFIG_TMPFS=y lets you use the POSIX shared memory, and you can
access a nice, ramdisk-like filesystem at /dev/shm.

I enabled this option yesterday, and observed that the swap space is used
even though there's plenty ram unused. I suppose this is how shared memory
works?

Joongul