Re: What G3/G4 accelerator cards work with PowerPC Linux?

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 07:22:51PM -0700, Peter Canning wrote:
> I have a PowerMac 7300 (200 MHz 604e) and I'm thinking of using my tax
> rebate to purchase an accelerator card.  The cards I'm aware of are Sonnet
> Crescendo, PowerLogix PowerForce, XLR8 Carrier, and XLR8 MACh Carrier.

Don't know about the 7300. But the 9500 we bought accelerator cards for
never worked with them. We were going from 132 to 200, it just started
crashing a lot, I presume even with the big heat sink it just couldn't stay
cool enough. And there's more air space in the 9500 case. The cards ended up
in the used scrap pile. Want one?

I'm pretty sure we were using a PowerLogic.

Also, you might be wary of funny compatibility issues, early accelerators
for Macs like the Rocket series were notorious for not having truly
OS-compatible cpus.

> Can any one give me any information on which of these upgrade cards (or
> others) work (or are known not to work) with PowerPC Linux, and Debian in
> particular (I'm running a 2.2.19 kernel if that matters, and have MacOS
> 8.1).
>
> Also, can anybody tell me (or tell me where to find information on) how
> much of a performance improvement I can expect for typical software
> development tasks (compiling and running Java, C, and C++ programs,
> browsing the web, reading email, etc).

At least at my company, we decided our money was better spent on more RAM
and newer computers, not accelerator cards. If you can get everything in RAM
instead of using swap, you have a 10X increase in speed - well at least for
many normal tasks involving disk access. (New iMacs=$799 at MacWarehouse).

|  .''`.  |   Debian GNU/Linux: <http://www.debian.org>          |
| : :'  : |   debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>  |
| `. `'`  |      Chris Tillman        tillman@azstarnet.com      |
|   `-    |            May the Source be with you                |