Re: G3's, G4's, Altivec, DVD's, iBooks, and TiBooks

On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, Andrew Sharp wrote:

AS> Actually, I don't get the joke, but I'm dense like that sometimes.
AS> However, I will relate an unrelated story.  I was representing a
AS> company that spent large amounts of money with the best known PC
AS> supplier in this country.  Every computer was immediately wiped of
AS> windows upon delivery and Linux installed.  In a meeting with the
AS> manufacturer, I broached the unthinkable: I asked them to sell us
AS> computers with no operating system installed on the hard drives.  I
AS> explained our situation to them and the answer was, sure, they could
AS> do that, if we signed a letter of intent for $50k/quarter of
AS> business (which we were already doing), and then they would do it
AS> for an additional $50/machine.  I said, well, no, I wanted
AS> $150/machine LESS, because we were no longer buying the Windows
AS> license, and Dell^H^H^H^H unnamed manufacturer would no longer have
AS> to go to the expense of installing the software.  They treated this
AS> concept as a joke.  I responded appropriately.  After, the marketing
AS> veep said, 'Dude, you really reamed him.  Was that necessary?'  I
AS> said 'we still have choices.'

The question is why you were buying IBM PC compatibles in the first place
when you could have bought Sun hardware. And if you really needed PC
hardware why not assemble the machines yourself? No Microsoft tax.

--
Henrik Edlund <henrik@edlund.org>
http://www.edlund.org/

"You're young, you're drunk, you're in bed, you have knives; shit
happens." -- Angelina Jolie