Re: G3's, G4's, Altivec, DVD's, iBooks, and TiBooks

Henrik Edlund wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, Andrew Sharp wrote:
>
> AS> not) then just set your system up to be dual boot.  Problem solved,
> AS> geez can we move on?  Please don't tell me that you want to do other
> AS> things while watching your DVDs, that's just silly.  If you're
> AS> really doing something else while watching your DVD, well, then the
> AS> DVD probably isn't really worth watching in the first place, is it?
> AS> ~:^) If you have something else to do, then you can watch your DVD
>
> Just sucks to have payed $400 extra for the DVD drive when it is useless
> with the OS of my choice. No, I will not run MacOS, but I will see if I
> can hurt Apple in some way.

Alas, I understand what you are saying.  Didn't someone say they
were able to do it with vlc on their ibook2?  I have a real hard
time believing that a 500MHz G3 (or even a 400MHz G3) can't play a
DVD.  Maybe it's a XFree86/DMA thing.  My only thought was that
getting it to work with current Linux software might take more time
that it is worth if you have MacOS that will do it right now.  So I
guess what I'm saying is, have hope, faith and a little patience.  I
spent days and days working on getting my potato x86 laptop to play
DVDs, and never really succeeded (stuck in two places, css and X4),
and resigned myself to just stick in the DOS (as far as I'm
concerned, all M$ OSes are DOS) hard drive that one time a year I
feel like playing a DVD.  I paid for it, I might as well use it once
a year.