Re: Advice on a iBook ...

--- Ethan Benson <erbenson@alaska.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 09:47:12AM -0700, CaRLoS
> mOGUeL wrote:
> >
> > Yes ... that's right, "default=" is for the kernel
> > image, I got confused with the "defaultos=" (that
> > already used with no success trying to change my
> OS to
> > MacOS by default ...)
>
> with potato r0's yaboot?  that feature did not exist
> in that archaic
> version.   upgrade to the potato backport of sid's
> yaboot i put up at
> penguinppc for this to work (you should do that
> anyway since potato's
> yaboot has serious bugs that can lead to kernel
> memory corruption).
>
> add:
>
> deb http://penguinppc.org/projects/yaboot/debian/
> potato main
>
> to your /etc/apt/sources.list and run:
>
> apt-get update
> apt-get install yaboot
>
> this will upgrade it to 1.3.4-0.potato.1 which is
> exactly the same as
> yaboot 1.3.4-1 in sid, except depending on potato's
> libc instead of sid's.
>
> you also need to update your yaboot.conf to get the
> dual boot
> features, change install= and magicboot= to:
>
> install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
> magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
>
> then delete cruft:
>
> rm /etc/ofboot.b
> rm /boot/ofboot.b
> rm /boot/yaboot
>
> --
> Ethan Benson
> http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/

Done and working just fine ... thanks !!!.

I installed just the base system with nothing else and
then I upgraded all the base system to woody plus
yaboot 1.3.4.

Now I want to install X on the iBook ... Do i need a
newer Kernel ? ... is 2.2.17 just fine for this ? ...
What is the best way to install X ? ... any Doc ?.

I already have a clean woody base system working fine
and I just want to add the X, I have been reading how
to install from getting the source and compiling but I
think the Debian way should be better ... and easier.

Thanks in advance for any advices or guidelines ...
Blessings all.

Carlos.