Back in time without even a warning

Hi,

I just experienced my first battery replacement with my iBook 2002 running
Debian. While on the road and before running out juice, I swapped batteries.
Unfortunately, I discovered that there is no backup battery on the iBook
2001. So the clock got reset (I may have taken 30 secs to unpack the new
one.)

What's curious is that when I rebooted, I didn't even get a message that the
clock was set earlier than when the system was shut down. Is this an option
that needs to be set and is off by default? It is not really hard to write
an init script that would do just that, but because of the serious
implications there is booting the machine with a reset clock, it would be
nice if this was a feature set by default system-wide. Right now, I need to
boot in single mode just to make sure the date is set correctly when ever I
swap batteries.

Laurent