Re: Audio CD on Tibook

Hi there,

On  18 Oct, this message from Debian User Jean-Baptiste Note echoed through cyberspace:
> So here's the problem : i've just bought a tibook,

Brand new model (550/667 MHz) or older one (400/500 MHz)?

> and can't get a cd audio to work.
> /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info reports that my drive is unable
> to read CD-A.

Out of curiosity, can you send the model of the CDRom along?

> i echoed 0 in /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/media_check, to no avail.
> OK, so as told i tried xmms's readcd plugin and selected
> read digital audio, still to no avail.
> And the kernel message I get with cdcd when requesting info for the drive
> is:
[snip]

I never got the cdread plugin to read audio CDs off my DVD drive in the
TiBook unless I use SCSI emulation for the DVD. To try that, recompile a
kernel with SCSI support, no low-level driver, support for SCSI CDRoms,
and SCSI emulation under IDE. Then add this to your kernel commandline:

  hdc=scsi

That should make your drive appear as /dev/sr0. Change any /dev/cdrom
aliases you have, and try again.

> As far as Audio CDReader is concerned, I get no message,
> but the plugin says there's no cd in the drive.

Exactly what I got. You are in group cdrom, are you?

Note that plain xmms with /dev/dsp output has an endian issue; you only
get noise. Using the esd plugin helps (and you obviously need to sart
esd ;-).

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |