Re: getting alternate kernels

"Michael D. Crawford" wrote:

> This is a really dumb newbie question.
>
> I'm experienced with Linux (slackware) but not much at all with debian.

> a 2.4 kernel out of sid.
>
> How do I do that?
>
> I know how to use dselect to install and remove packages from my machine.  But I
> don't know how to configure things to get packages out of different releases.
>
> I would actually enjoy compiling kernels myself, and do it all the time with
> SlackWare, but my understand is that debian has it's own concept of what kernel
> source is (to work with apt) and also the powerpc kernels that are best to use
> are not what I'd get from kernel.org.
>
> So a further question is, if I want to compile a 2.4 kernel on a Mac, how do I
> use dselect to get it.

I can't imagine why 2.4 would be required, because in my opinion 2.4
still has "issues," 2.4.12 even.  You can spare yourself the
annoyance of getting things from unstable (you can't just run a 2.4
kernel on potato without other utilities also being there) by just
setting up the network interfaces you want, and then

# apt-get install ipmasq

And you're done.  Pretty sweet, this debian stuff.  Works
auto-freakin-magically for ppp connections too.