Re: X crash on login

On Tue, 16 Oct 2001, Russell Hires wrote:

> After my nightly "apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade," I reboot this
> morning to discover that X crashes when I attempt to login through kdm.
> After about the third crash, I get dropped to a shell, where I can login
> to the command line, and type "startx," but that crashes, too. I don't
> want to include the entire log file, so the relevant part is listed
> below. I haven't changed anything related to the configuration that
> always worked in the past, so I have to assume that it's a change in X
> somewhere....I'm running woody, by the way...

It's not a "crash". It's a known bug with the latest XFree86 Xsession
setup scripts. Edit /etc/X11/Xsession.d/99xfree86-common_start, and change

    exec "$REALSTARTUP"

    exec $REALSTARTUP

and it'll work fine. (If the X server was "crashing", you'd see something
in your X display manager's logs, saying the X server died.)

Derrik Pates      |   Sysadmin, Douglas School   |    #linuxOS on EFnet
dpates@dsdk12.net |     District (dsdk12.net)    |    #linuxOS on OPN