Re: TiBook Dual Display

On Tue, 16 Oct 2001, Gregory P. Keeney wrote:
> What are the issues preventing a Dual Head X configuration on a TiBook
> (1st generation, i.e., Rage128 Mobility).

Lack of developer manpower (did you just volunteer to do it?). The
technical specs are available to XFree members, the kernel infrastructure
required to support mutiple framebuffers is in place for ages. Just make
aty128fb register two separate framebuffers, and set up the crtc registers
to make each crtc drive a separate output, and use a distinct chunk of the
video RAM for each. mirror currently does most of that except for using
separate frame buffer memory chunks.

On Mach64, primary and secondary crtc register sets are aliased which
makes the access macros a bit awkward (as in: I didn't have an immediate
idea how to do it so I didn't try. Maybe it's trivial). Rage128 might be
easier to handle. Sounds like a 'just try it'. I don't have the docs, I
don't have the time either, to answer that up front.

Once you have the two frame buffers going, Xinerama should cover the rest.
X gurus please correct me if the current X release already supports
Xinereama on rage128 out of the box (the number of arcane XF86Config
options is galore :-)).

	Michael