TiBook Dual Display

I realize this has been brought up on this list before, but I am curious
if there have been any new developments since the last time this was
discussed.

What are the issues preventing a Dual Head X configuration on a TiBook
(1st generation, i.e., Rage128 Mobility).

I recall some discussion that mentioned one might be able to trick the
Framebuffer out, and make an extra larger framebuffer... If this is the
case, why couldn't a second framebuffer be created using this extra
space?

Mac OS (X & 9) Handle multiple monitors beautifully (way better than X11
can); I simply suspend my TiBook, plug in a new display device, bring
the machine out of suspend and BLAM! it works.

I would suspect  that this could be done at the kernel level (the
detecting of new external displays), but would require a restart of X
(not ideal, but definitely exceptable).

I have used Ben's mirror utility, and that is very nice, but what I
really want is the extra screen realestate. (I have an extra 17" monitor
at work, and a gorgeous 21" at home...)

I am willing to help, and I can code, but I am definitley not a kernel
hacker (as anyone who has seen my caps lock hack can tell...).

Gregory P. Keeney
Mad Computer Scientist