Re: Internal Speaker on Blue G3 part III

On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 08:36:25PM -0700, Anthony Lau wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 07, 2001 at 08:38:23PM -0400, Alexander N Gould wrote:
> > Thanks for all the advice so far:  In Kmix, the available sliders are
> > Volume, Speaker, Line, Microphone, CD, and Pcm2.  All are set on the
> > highest except for microphone, which won't allow itself to be moved.
> > Still no sound.  Does it matter that I am using BootX instead of yaboot?
> > Any other ideas?  Thanks again.
>
> Jumping in well into the thread so I have not seen all previous posts.
>
> What are you using to play sound? Can't see why BootX vs. yaboot would
> make a silent system. Have you configure the output of whatever program
> you are using? In XMMS, you need to configure OSS or ESound.

i can't speak for the original poster, but the internal speaker in my
blue G3 has never worked, but sound does work if i plug headphones
into the sound out.

cat english.au > /dev/audio does fine for a test.  i use 2.2.19 with
dmasound compiled in.  aumix does nothing for activating the internal
speaker.  way way back i remember being told that the way its wired in
is proprietary and undocumented so the Linux sound drivers could not
support it.  that was quite some time ago however.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/