Re: Internal Speaker on Blue G3 part III

On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 08:36:25PM -0700, Anthony Lau wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 07, 2001 at 08:38:23PM -0400, Alexander N Gould wrote:
> > Thanks for all the advice so far:  In Kmix, the available sliders are
> > Volume, Speaker, Line, Microphone, CD, and Pcm2.  All are set on the
> > highest except for microphone, which won't allow itself to be moved.
> > Still no sound.  Does it matter that I am using BootX instead of yaboot?
> > Any other ideas?  Thanks again.
> Jumping in well into the thread so I have not seen all previous posts.
> What are you using to play sound? Can't see why BootX vs. yaboot would
> make a silent system. Have you configure the output of whatever program
> you are using? In XMMS, you need to configure OSS or ESound.

i can't speak for the original poster, but the internal speaker in my
blue G3 has never worked, but sound does work if i plug headphones
into the sound out.

cat english.au > /dev/audio does fine for a test.  i use 2.2.19 with
dmasound compiled in.  aumix does nothing for activating the internal
speaker.  way way back i remember being told that the way its wired in
is proprietary and undocumented so the Linux sound drivers could not
support it.  that was quite some time ago however.

Ethan Benson