Re: .config for boot-floppy-hfs.img

Ethan Benson wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 02:40:31PM +0200, Damien Morel wrote:
> >
> > by the way, could you please tell me what kernel to use on a boot
> > floppy, cause I tested
> > with /usr/src/linux/arch/ppc/coffboot/vmlinux.coff but it fails to boot.
> > I see a
> > little penguin and then a red cross appears on it. Is it the right
> > kernel?
>
> thats because the coff kernel only boots with OpenFirwmare, you need
> to boot into OpenFirmware and load it manually:
>
> boot fd:vmlinux.coff
>
> the boot-hfs.img doesn't use OpenFirmware it uses the miboot kludge
> which is a macos based bootloader (it boots via the MacOS hardware ROM).

I am going mad. I am trying to make these Performa boot for may be 2 months
now...
The situation is the following: these Performa are for use in a
university, and since I can't make them boot from the harddrive, I need a boot
floppy. But I would like the boot process to be possible whithout any user
intervention. So could you please explain me the whole process for creating a
boot disk like the one Debian use for installation.

What kernel to use exactly: vmlinux.coff? vmlinux.gz? ....
How to make the boot disk? using Miboot?

What I tried for now is to change the kernel of the Debian bootdisk,
then bless the floppy with hattrib and try to boot on it. But none of my kernels
worked, althought I used the .config from kernel-patch-2.2.19-powerpc and I
correctly patched the kernel sources with the patch.

a good explanation (or a link to an Howto or a FAQ on it) would be greatly
appreciated. I really need to solve this problem quickly and stop spending all
that time on it...

thanks in advance.

Damien.