Re: New Altivec-enabled vlc available

On Sun, 2001-10-07 at 16:35, Michel Lanners wrote:

> I've uploaded a new Altivec-enabled version of vlc (built from the
> 20011004 snapshot). It is available here:
>
> http://www.cpu.lu/~mlan/ftp/debian/vlc-snapshot-20011004
>
> Sorry, single files only. Once I figure out how to make a apt-get'able
> repository I'll clean up.

apt-ftparchive (1)   - Utility to generate index files

It's in the apt-utils package.

> This version of vlc is able to play at full framerate essentially
> without dropped frames on my TiBook/400. It has Altivec-accelerated IDCT
> and Motion Compensation.

Great, my account number is available for donations so I can buy a
TiBook before the next millenium. :)

> You can make this version use even less CPU, by using Michel Dänzer's
> DMA patch for the R128 driver (needs DRI; i.e. 16-bit-only on the
> Powerbook). However, you will see colour artefacts (blocks of pixels
> have wrong colour).
>
> I suspect that these problems are caused either by alignment problems
> with buffers provided to vlc by XVideo (not beeing 16-byte-aligned for
> vector ops) or with limited DMA bandwidth (not sure...). Michel?

It was simply a thinko when calculating the number of lines to transfer
in the last pass. A fixed version is in DRI and XFree86 CVS and will be
in XFree86 4.2.0 .