Re: kernel-image-2.4.10-benh-xfs

On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 02:05:45PM +0200, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am basically finished with the package mentioned above.  The only
> thing I lack is a few useful config files.  Right now, I am using the
> one from Ben's tree with XFS support thrown in, but it would be easy
> to add a few more.  For instance, how do people feel about building
> Firewire support into the kernel instead of as modules?  I imagine
> this would be good for installing on Firewire disks.

build EVERYTHING as a module, if we have any hope for making this work
in boot-floppies the kernel image must be very very small.

some notes however:

pmac generally has no floppy drive so we need nfs client support
compiled in, as well as network support, and probably hfs support.. yuk.

otherwise do what you can to make the system.map, config and gzip -9
vmlinux fit on a 1.44MB ext2 floppy (and 1.44MB hfs floppy with miboot).

if that turns out to be abolutly undoable i suppose we can make the
xfs flavor use 2880 sized floppy images and just screw oldworlds.  the
config and sysmap we can ditch if there is no way to fit them (they
are gzip -9ed as well).

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/