will changing xmodmap work for Delete/backspace?

Hello, newbie here.

I am running potato (2.2.18pre21) on an iMac rev B.

My keyboard has a delete key, which i'm used to using
as a backspace key in MacOS (this keyboard has no
backspace key...) It works as a real delete key in X
though.

I'm assuming I have to use xmodmap to fix this, but I
can't seem to figure out how, and I did read the man
page.  I tried to

sean@beagle:~$ xmodmap -e "keycode 59 = Backspace"
xmodmap:  commandline:0:  bad keysym name 'Backspace'
in keysym list
xmodmap:  1 error encountered, aborting.

an interesting thing in my xmodmap:

sean@beagle:~$ xmodmap -pk | grep Delete
     59    	0xffff (Delete)
    125    	0xffff (Delete)

Other things I tried:

sean@beagle:~$ xmodmap -e "keysym BackSpace = Delete"
xmodmap:  commandline:0:  bad keysym target keysym
'BackSpace', no corresponding keycodes
xmodmap:  1 error encountered, aborting.

sean@beagle:~$ xmodmap -e "keysym Delete = Control_h"
xmodmap:  commandline:0:  bad keysym name 'Control_h'
in keysym list
xmodmap:  1 error encountered, aborting.

Can anyone help me?  And will this make my delete key
work as a backspace in all my X applications, for
instance mozilla...? If I run this as root, will it
fix it for all the users on my box?  I'm sorry if I'm
seeming ignorant here, I'm new to Linux.  I'm getting
tired of using Control + h to backspace...

Oddly enough, Debian sees this key as a backspace when
X is not running.

Thanks for any help at all!
Sean O'Brien