Re: Where to find updates??

On Sun, Sep 30, 2001 at 07:15:40PM -0300, Rogério Brito wrote:
> On Sep 30 2001, Bjoern Berg wrote:
> > But this is not possible. The Debian-PC is a standalone Powerbook,
> > no serial connection working, no floppy, only the CD-ROM!
> > Or is it possible to install apt under SuSE and let it work for me?
>
> 	Would a chroot environment work here (say, using potato's
> 	base2_2.tgz and upgrading)? Are both computers working
> 	PowerPC? If yes, then you could use that, then use apt-move to
> 	generate a local mirror with only the packages that you'd
> 	want, burn them on a CD-R and then use it to update your
> 	Powerbook.

thats a pain really..

best way to do it is copy the root.bin, and linux files to /boot setup
yaboot to boot them (or quik on oldworld).  then reboot, the
installation system will be booted, make sure you read the install
docs since if you don't get it bootable right you won't get a second
chance.

the other option is installing the debootstrap package on suse, its
designed to be portable so it should work, just get the .deb and
run the following as root:

cd /
ar -p debootstrap.deb data.tar.gz | zcat | tar -xv

starting a chroot from potato's base.tgz is tricky, there are lots of
little details you have to take care of yourself.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/