Re: framebuffer questions

Bruce McIntyre wrote:

Hello, I'm a little confused about how fb.modes relates to the operation of
fbset in the console, and how I might be able to convince X that certain
modes are available.
In the console, for instance, fbset -g 832 624 832 624 8 results in a mode
with correct timings and no distortion. When I describe a mode in
XF86Config-4 at the same resolution, X refuses to enter it. How, or where
does fbdev check to see which modes can be entered?

You are really confused. :)

X has nothing to do with fb.modes. If you want to use a specific mode with X, use fbset -x to generate a mode description to put into the XF86Config Section "Monitor".

For standard modes, that shouldn't even be necessary as the X server has those built in. Probably not 832x624 though. ;)