framebuffer questions

Hello, I'm a little confused about how fb.modes relates to the operation of
fbset in the console, and how I might be able to convince X that certain
modes are available.

In the console, for instance, fbset -g 832 624 832 624 8 results in a mode
with correct timings and no distortion. When I describe a mode in
XF86Config-4 at the same resolution, X refuses to enter it. How, or where
does fbdev check to see which modes can be entered?

My mac uses the control framebuffer device, and I typically change modes
with a command such as fbset -g 1024 768 1024 768 8. I understand that this
command does not use the fb.modes database to establish the correct timings,
as the timings in fb.modes are different to those subsequently echoed by
fbset.

In Debian should fb.modes be auto-created on a per-device basis?

--
Bruce McIntyre.