Re: vi problems, linux keycodes and yaboot questions

On Sun, Sep 16, 2001 at 09:53:15AM +0200, Michel Lanners wrote:

> Remember that physical order on disk doesn't necessarily mean the same
> thing as order in the partition map.

correct.

> AFAIR, you can have your partitions physically in any order you want
> (with the one exception beeing the first partition, the partition map
> itself), while showing a _different_ order within the partition map.

correct.  the map must be at slot 1 however, otherwise Bad Things happen.

> Ethan, any info whether OF works on physical order rather than partition
> table order?

it uses the logical order not physical order.  my mac-fdisk doc
describes how to use the r command in mac-fdisk to repair improperly
partitioned disks.

> Agreed, this is not the most intuitive nor the clearest way to hadle
> things, but it _might_ save you reformating or moving partitions around
> _physically_ in some cases. I think there are/were some tools that
> support reordering partitions in the partition map, if you like
> dangerous games.

mac-fdisk can do it, and the risk is minimal.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/