Re: vi problems, linux keycodes and yaboot questions

On Sat, 15 Sep 2001, Michael Schmitz wrote:

> That'll bring you back to default booting MacOS if a) you keep it
> installed and b) your boot-device variable ever gets reset (a hard kernel
> crash often does that for me). OF seems to default to the first 'blessed'
> filesystem it can find, that's why having the bootstrap partition first is
> nicer.

Um. You still have Command-Option-O-F, which will get you to an OF prompt,
at which point you can do 'boot hd:13,\\:tbxi' (change 13 to whatever the
partition number of your Apple_Bootstrap partition is) to tell OF where
specifically to boot from. Yes, if the XPRAM is wiped, OF will just start
at the first partition and look for the "magic" creator ID ('tbxi') and
boot the first one it finds, but that doesn't stop you from telling it to
do something else.

> Side note: you can move partitions around in the partition map at will.
> The psrtition order on disk doesn't matter.

Move partitions? What do you mean by that? If you mean having them
anyplace you want on disk, that's what I just said, isn't it? :)

Derrik Pates      |   Sysadmin, Douglas School   |    #linuxOS on EFnet
dpates@dsdk12.net |     District (dsdk12.net)    |    #linuxOS on OPN