Re: uname -p

On Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 10:16:41PM -0700, Laurent de Segur wrote:

> I wrote in a previous email to express my surprise about getting a
> '-powerpc' extension at the end of the version returned by the command

-pmac perhaps?

> 'uname -r' with a pre-compiled kernel image, which I think should not be
> done. I understand now why such a decision was made, as it can't be
> determine at runtime by entering a simple 'uname -p'.

thats not the problem, debian packages only distinguish processer
archetecture.  so there is no way to have kernel-image-2.2.19 packages
for chrp, prep, pmac and such without adding something to the
EXTRAVERSION which is included in uname -r.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/