Re: [iBook FW] Lost X with move from -3 to -4

Branden Robinson wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 10:19:42PM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> > Christian Pernegger wrote:
> > >
> > > I have an iBook FW 366 on which I track unstable quite closely. Now
> > > this last upgrade from Debian revision 3 to 4 totally broke X on that
> > > machine - the X server SIG11s at startup... :( Nothing in the
> > > configuration was changed at all.
> >
> > Branden, do you still use this patch:
> >
> >   * patch #152: David Gibson's Rage128 fix for video mode saving and
> >     restoring when there is no video BIOS (such as on a PowerPC...)
> >
> > ? It's required for Macs without UseFBDev.
>
> No, I had to remove it.  It broke r128 for everybody with an Intel box.

Who cares? ;)

Seriously though, the description implies that it only affects the case when
there is no video BIOS, which shouldn't normally be the case on Intel. So the
patch just seems to be broken?

Unfortunately, noone has come up with anything but a hack about this
problem... So until it gets sorted out, people should use UseFBDev.