Re: memtestPPC ?

On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 12:27:46AM -0400, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

> The x86 world has a stand-alone memory test program called
> memtest86 that boots from a floppy. This is great, because it
> can test all the memory in the system. It's only a few kB in
> size, and can move itself about as needed. It uses direct VGA
> text memory access for output.

nothing like this exists for powerpc.  you would have to write such a
thing in Forth ideally, then you would load it directly from
OpenFirmware.  i could be a C program too i suppose.

> So now I have a Mac with some bad memory, and... what do I do?

replace it.

> MacOS seems to test memory at boot, but doesn't reliably find
> a problem. Maybe 15% of the time I get an error message.

macos, do something reliable? heh

> Any hope of a stand-alone program that would take advantage of
> the various PowerPC features (cache control & AltiVec prefetch)
> to find memory problems?

sounds like you just volunteered to write one ;-)

there are some userland memory testers for GNU/Linux, you can boot
them instead of init but they still are rather limited in how much of
the memory they can test since the kernel gets in the way.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/