Re: memtestPPC ?

On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 12:27:46AM -0400, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
> The x86 world has a stand-alone memory test program called
> memtest86 that boots from a floppy. This is great, because it
> can test all the memory in the system. It's only a few kB in
> size, and can move itself about as needed. It uses direct VGA
> text memory access for output.

nothing like this exists for powerpc.  you would have to write such a
thing in Forth ideally, then you would load it directly from
OpenFirmware.  i could be a C program too i suppose.

> So now I have a Mac with some bad memory, and... what do I do?

replace it.

> MacOS seems to test memory at boot, but doesn't reliably find
> a problem. Maybe 15% of the time I get an error message.

macos, do something reliable? heh

> Any hope of a stand-alone program that would take advantage of
> the various PowerPC features (cache control & AltiVec prefetch)
> to find memory problems?

sounds like you just volunteered to write one ;-)

there are some userland memory testers for GNU/Linux, you can boot
them instead of init but they still are rather limited in how much of
the memory they can test since the kernel gets in the way.

Ethan Benson