Re: problem with yaboot/ybin on iBook

On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 10:45:14AM -0700, Arrigo Benedetti wrote:

> I have two problems with  yaboot/ybin on an iBook where I installed Debian
> 2.2r3, Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X in separate disk partitions. I upgraded
> to the latest ybin version.
>
> 1. After a reboot from Mac OS 9 I can't get into the open firmware menu
>    pressing the 'option' key during boot. What I have to do is press the
>    Command-Option-O-F combination, the 'boot hd:11,yaboot' from where I
>    boot linux. In linux I run ybin which reloads yboot so at the next boot
>    pressing the 'option' presents the three menu options.

sounds like you ignored the documentation and created your bootstrap
partition Apple_HFS instead of Apple_Bootstrap.

you *MUST* make the bootstrap partition type Apple_Bootstrap.

> 2. At some point I had a graphical menu for the selection of the OS to boot,
>    now the menu is text only. Why is that?

yaboot and ybin do not support bloated unecessary GUI interfaces for
choosing OSes.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/