Re: no eye candy after woody

sisi wrote:

> > > i have a powerpc 7300/200
> >
> > So you probably have to use the fbdev driver.
>
> and that is what it says in my config file :-)

It was basically a 3.3.x config file modified for 4.x . It's generally a
better idea to start from scratch for 4.x because a lot of cruft is no longer
needed.

> > dpkg-reconfigure -plow xserver-xfree86
>
> thanks alot for your really prompt reply.
> i did as instructed and i have now XF86Config-4
> (i tried to run dexconf just in case :)
> however, when i start X i get a hanging black screen.

[...]

> (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Configured Mouse" (type: MOUSE)
> [GetFontOrFixed]: WARNING -- can't get font -adobe-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-12-*, trying 'fixed'[GetFontOrFixed]: WARNING -- can't get font -adobe-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-12-*, trying 'fixed'/bin/sh: exec: setup-background: not found
> xinit:  unexpected signal 2

Looks like the server starts up fine, but the X session exits immediately
because setup-background is missing - do you try to start that in your
~/.xsession or ~/.xinitrc?

If you don't get the console back, that points at a problem in the framebuffer
device.