Re: vlc 0.2.82 debs available

"Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu> writes:

> Running MacOS X:  MacOS-gcc -O2 -S foo.c
> Running Linux:    cp /mac/src/whatever/foo.s /usr/src/whatever/foo.S

Yes, that would be one method...

>> What's good is that XVideo support got rid of that annoying
>> (expensive) YUV transformation, though.
>
> Does it do a good job?

Well, are you asking if the mach64 YUV PutImage works well, I'd have
to say yes.  (save for the white noise I mentioned in my other post).
Especially in depth 24, it picture looks very good.  When used in 16
bit color, it doesn't look so good -- in additon to the palette issue,
the scaling of images that contain text look very bad.

> In case it isn't obvious, you can suck up every CPU cycle
> on the fastest CPU ever made. Lots of stuff should be done
> in a linear color space or perceptually uniform color space.

Okay...

> Scaling suggestion: only scale by 1:1, 1:2, 2:1, 3:2, 2:3,
> 3:4, and 4:3. Crop the edges or fill space with a neutral
> color (average of a sample of the pixels?) as needed.

[...]

Thanks for the tips.  I'll see what I can do this weekend...

> Inverse Discrete Cosine Transform (or Integer?)

I guess I was more asking what it's role in mpeg decompression was...

--
Josh Huber                                   | huber@debian.org |