Re: German Keymap for X4.0.3 (was: German keymap for G3/PPC)

Manuel Reiter wrote:

On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Ethan Benson wrote:

On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 01:42:05PM +0200, Manuel Reiter wrote:

As I'm still having problems with my German Keyboard (Apple Extended
ADB) under X4.0.3 on my 7600, I would appreciate pointers on

try X4.1

Is it packaged for woody already? I just apt-get updated and upgraded. I'd
really prefer not to go sid at the moment.

Time for another plug for APT's wonderful pinpointing feature.

no, this is a kernel issue, upgrade console-tools to the version in
woody and recompile your kernel with CONFIG_MAC_ADBKEYCODES=n

or add append="keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes=1" to your
/etc/yaboot.conf and rerun ybin.  upgrade console-tools first though.

I've put it in /etc/sysctl.conf since I'm using bootX and can't access my
Mac (HFS+) partition from Linux. Yes, I know that's stupid ;) Do you see
any problems with this?

Yes, you won't be able to interact with fsck.

My keyboard is now (again) working on console, including '@' and 'pipe',
minus a few glitches: The key left of '1' gives me a tilde ('~') in
conjunction with 'shift', and the Umlaut and s-z-Ligature keys don't
work: u-Umlaut gives me '@' and '\', o-Umlaut '[' and '{', a-Umlaut ']'
and '}' and s-z-Ligature '\' and '?' (first is key alone, second is with
'shift'). This happens on console and in X.

Does this sound familiar to anybody?

Try an Apple USB keymap.

In X, I still can't access the 'tilde ' and (apart from via u-Umlaut
;) '@' characters.

How would a basic XF86Config-4 file that just tells X to use the Kernel
keymaps look like, if such a beast exists at all?

    Option "XkbDisable"