Re: Is the iBook2 really good?

Russell Williams wrote:
Is the iBook2 a NewWorld mac?

Yes. Everything since the iMac classifies as NewWorld.

Would the TiBook be worth the extra money?

I don't know. We have several of the G4 PowerBooks (not running Linux, but we have them) at the place that I work. I haven't been too impressed with them - they frankly don't feel sturdy, we've had latches and keys break, and the DVD-ROM drive it's outfitted with doesn't have good clearance (so setting your right hand down on the laptop will produce a scratching noise as the drive bends), not to mention that it doesn't seem to like some CDs for whatever reason. I don't know if the iceBook (aka iBook2) shares any of these attributes or not.

Is there sound support?

I think that recent BenH 2.4.x kernels have support for the iBook2's audio chip (don't think they yet have mixer support tho).

I don't need Ximian Gnome but I would prefer it. Can I
recompile it or will I have many problems with it?

If you have source deb's, you should be able to.

Derrik Pates
dpates@dsdk12.net