Re: curious about java servlets

Bill Lovett <blovett1@rcn.com> writes:

 Can anyone shed some light on why jserv isn't available, or
 > recommend any next steps?

I'm happily developing JSPs and servlets on my TiBook under Debian. As you have already figured out, you have to install the Blackdown JDK by hand. In order to run and test servlets & JSPs, you need a "servlet container" as well. Tomcat is the open source servlet contain from the Apache Jakarta project that was derived from Sun's original reference code, and while it is not perfect, for development purposes it works very well. Again, it'll be something you have to install by hand, but it is not difficult:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/
Eric: I want to live in a world where software doesn't suck //////////
Richard: Any software that isn't free sucks ////////// rafial@well.com
Linus: I'm interested in free beer ///// <http://www.3roses.com/> ////