Re: second scsi disk in 7200/120

On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 08:11:40AM -0300, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 07:16:35PM +1000, Steven Hanley wrote:
> > All
> >
> > I have a 7200/120 here with its standard 500 MB disk, I was able to pull a 2
> > GB disk out of a broken 7300/200. I just put the 2 GB disk in and plugged both
> > disks into the cables there inside the case. NOw booting into linux (on the
> > debian hfs image floppy and root disk) the 2 GB disk has appeared first as
> > sdb, and the 500 MB disk doesnt get detected at all.
> >
> > How can I get both disks detected when plugged in inside the machine (there is
> > also a cd drive which is detected still. The controller seems to be a 53C94
> > (whatever that is)
> >
> > Also I would prefer to have the 500 MB disk show up as sda.
>
> Is the drive terminated or does the cable have a terminator on the end?
> If both drives are terminated, you'll need to disable termination on the
> first drive.  If you have a terminator on the end of the cable, neither
> drive should have termination set.

I've done this myself (on 7300, pulling the drive from a broken
powercenter), and didn't have to worry about termination issues.

> Also, it is quite possible both drives now have the same SCSI ID. You
> need to give them different SCSI ID#s.  Set the one which you want to
> have as sda to a lower SCSI ID# than the other.
>
> Both termination and SCSI ID# are usually controlled by jumpers on
> the drive.  If you're lucky there is a diagram on the drive telling you
> which jumper is for what.  If not, you can look up the drive model# on
> the website for the drive manufacturer and find a schematic.

They most certainly have the same ID, because there is a standard SCSI id
for the internal drives in macs.  Probably the jumpers don't have a diagram
(I've seen few that do), but you can just move a couple of them at random,
and that will change the ID, and unless it changes it to be the same as the
CD drive, you should be fine.  Also, the original ID is pretty low, so as
long as you change the ID on the new drive, your original drive should show
up as sda.
--
David Roundy
http://civet.berkeley.edu/droundy/