Re: Re: Modem problems

Hi there,

On  30 Jul, this message from Stefan Heimann echoed through cyberspace:
> ok, I tried it and got:
>
> PowerMac Z8530 serial driver version 2.0
> tty00 at 0xd58ae020 (irq = 22) is a Z8530 ESCC (cobalt modem)
> tty01 at 0xd58b5000 (irq = 50) is a Z8530 ESCC
>
> but some lines later:
>
> Serial driver version 5.05a (2001-03-20) with MANY_PORTS SHARE_IQ SERIAL_PCI enabled
> IN from bad port 3f9 at cd925084

This is just the generic (PC-style 16550) serial driver blindly poking
at IO ports (which incidentally are unused on Macs, hence the error
message). If you don't need the serial module for PCMCIA serial (or
modem) modules, I suggest getting rid of it alltogether.

> When I try to use wvdial (with my old config-file), I get the message:
> modem not responding.

You are looking at the wrong port, because:

> When I try to create a new config file with wvdialconf, the answer is:
>
> irda_setup timed out on 1st byte

you are trying to open /dev/ttyS1, which is the Infrared port. Use
/dev/ttyS0 for the internal modem. Be aware that after opening the
serial device, it takes some time to power-up the modem; apps that have
too short timeouts might give errors before the modem has done its init.

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan@cpu.lu            |