Re: how to set PRAM audio level?

On Sun, Aug 05, 2001 at 02:50:07PM -0700, Wilhelm Fitzpatrick wrote:
> Is there a tool that can be used to set the audio level stored in PRAM on
> Mac hardware?  Can ntsetenv be used for this?

no, nvsetenv only sets OpenFirmware environment variables, there is no
such variable that controls the boot chime.  (that i am aware of, if
thats how macos did it you would see that variable in nvsetenv output).

> I've found an init for MacOS that sets the stored audio level to 0 on
> reboot to supress the boot-chime, and sets it back up on boot, and I
> thought it would be nice to have the same setup for Linux, since the
> boot-chime can be annoying to others when working in a public environment.

there is currently no way to do this, audio volume is stored in
another partition of the nvram, probably the undocumented MacOS one.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/