Re: Slow Gnome in a Performa 6360

Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra wrote:

I installed Debian 2.2 in a 40MB-RAM Apple Power Macintosh Performa 6360, I don't remember exactly but I think it is a PowerPC 603e 160 MHz.

As long as I keep in text mode (using virtual consoles) it is a sweet machine, fast even while multitasking with lots of big background processes, including several daemons in inetd and several instances of Emacs, lynx, w3m and links.

My problem begins whenever I try to switch to X. I runs, but so slow as to be unusable: even clicking a button in Control Panel with no other window open can take several seconds, sometimes more than five seconds.

Is it X in general, or is it just Gnome that is slow? It sounds to me (although I'm a PPC newbie) that you are running X with the framebuffer driver. Framebuffer has been very slow on the lower end machines I've tried. (If you don't know what this means, you can chek it by searching /etc/X11/XF86Config for Fbdev, and if you find this string, try to find some webpages on setting up accelrated video on your laptop.)

--
  Håvard

mailto:havardw@stud.ntnu.no||http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~havardw||73 52 55 76
All it takes to start an avalanche is a single snowflake||Or a snowboarder
       Oh! Un Fraggle! Regarde, maman! J'ai attrapé un Fraggle!