Re: ppp and powerbook

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 11:20:39PM -0400 or thereabouts, Chad Miller wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 08:51:44PM -0400, F. Heitkamp wrote:
> > I am having the same problem with a Debian distribution on a PC
> > laptop.  There is a default route set and God only knows where
> > it's coming from. (grepping through the /etc directory didn't
> > show anything.)
>
> Well, it's not magic.  What interface is it using?  (Psst -- it's the last
> column.)  Why is that configured and up?  (Pssst -- see the
> /etc/network/interfaces file.)

My laptop has a PCMCIA card that I use to connect to my small
home network. It comes up as eth0.  It is up because I like
being able to telnet/ftp around on my home network while I
also use the dialup PPP interface.  I also have nfs.  I often
download sources and compile them on the different machines
while I surf the net.  I have had no problems doing this on
any of the Linux setups I have until now.  I saw in a HOWTO
that PPP will refuse to run if there is a default route set
on eth0.  I want to turn off the default route coming on.  I
don't think I need it anyway.  My PC works fine without it (on
the home network.)  I can turn it off by hand manually before
I bring up PPP, but I would prefer it not turning on in the
first place.

Here is the routing table from my laptop right now.  I have
removed the default route manually.
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
192.168.0.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0

The real funny thing is the default route that comes up is something
like:
another_machine_on_my_network  0.0.0.0  <some_flags>  eth0.

I have know idea how the debian install picked the other machine.
Its like it just picked a machine out of my hosts file.  Or I
suppose I could have entered it in somewhere. (I didn't get
enough sleep during the week. :))

> I have to note that you're nothing like the person I replied to.  He
> connects to the internet through his ethernet interface, and that is what
> is causing his problem.  _Your_ config sounds fscked up.

Maybe, but it seemed like he was have a similar enough problem to
mine that I thought I could jump in.

> Great!  I'd recommend having pppd set a default route, but that may
> imply a Windows attitude.  It's the best thing to do, tho.

The "Windows attitude" part implied "do it the Windows way."
Any other way is wrong or somehow bad.  The world seems to be
heading toward total M$ domination (at least in the corporate
desktop world.)  It gets me frustrated some times. Sorry to
dump on you.

Fred